You are the pioneers of learning and sharing your knowledge to guide the entire VMware community. In order to support and accelerate innovation in the virtualization community, Ravello is excited to announce a free lab service for all 2015 vExperts. The estimated value of this cloud-based lab is $2500 per vExpert per year – and Ravello is picking up the tab in full for this party. In case you were wondering why its for current vExperts only, the reason is simple – we are a relatively young company with limited funding. But we invite VMware and the partners in its ecosystem to join us and contribute towards making free VMware labs available to more vExperts.
What is Ravello’s Free Lab Service for vExperts?
We hope our free lab service will provide you with additional resources, flexibility and agility to achieve your goals. Our mission is to enable you with smart labs to test new virtualization products and features, and collaborate and share complex designs, architectures and best practices – through which we hope that the entire VMware community can benefit. You can learn more and activate your free lab service here. In a nutshell:
- Starting today, each 2015 vExpert gets 1,000 free CPU hours per month on Ravello (with AWS/Google Cloud capacity included) for personal or home lab use. You can run full fledged VMware labs with vCenter, multiple ESXi nodes and other VMware and partner products such as VSAN, NSX, Veeam etc in your Ravello lab.
- For the next one year, each month, your Ravello account will be topped up with exactly 1,000 free CPU hours in a “use it or lose it” model -the hours don’t rollover so we encourage you to make the most of your free lab each month.
It’s been an exciting few months at Ravello
We’ve been keeping busy and having fun the last few months. Here’s what we have been up to:
- Running VMware workloads on AWS/Google: Our nested hypervisor, HVX, is still the only way to run VMware workloads unmodified on AWS/Google Cloud (running as a vmdk with all its VM drivers, networking etc intact). We are helping lots of customers who have massive VMware environments but want to clone their dev/test, CI, sales demos and PoC environments in the public cloud for agility & cost reasons.
- Running the VMware hypervisor itself – ESXi on AWS/Google: We literally took things to the next level by enabling hardware extensions such as Intel VT and AMD SVM in the cloud which allows third-party hypervisors such as ESXi and KVM to use public clouds like AWS and Google just like hardware. This is also an industry-first and currently the only way to run ESXi on AWS (join our beta). We got some fantastic feedback from the community and we humbly thank them for their support & guidance.
- Giving back to the virtual community: We started with a pilot program for vExperts a few months ago and now we are officially launching Ravello’s free lab service for all 2015 vExperts, where the underlying cloud capacity from AWS/Google is fully funded by Ravello. I’m personally super excited about this and look forward to working with you and hearing from you. We also just launched Ravello Repo a place to share infrastructure blueprints built by the community, for the community. Anybody can spin up their own copy of the application environment in their own Ravello lab with one click using these blueprints. Repo already has OpenStack, Arista and ESXi Autolab blueprints available for free download and we are eager to see what else you folks will come up with!
Let’s take virtualization to the next frontier.
PS: On a side note, we’re looking for rockstar TMEs with strong technical backgrounds to join team Ravello – please email us at email@example.com
About Ravello Systems
Ravello is the industry’s leading nested virtualization and software-defined networking SaaS. It enables enterprises to create cloud-based development, test, UAT, integration and staging environments by automatically cloning their VMware-based applications in AWS. Ravello is built by the same team that developed the KVM hypervisor in Linux.