ESXi lab pricing
While buying hardware and setting up a full scale VMware ESXi™ lab, or even a small and contained ESXi home lab is costly, the pricing for running these ESXi labs on AWS or Google Cloud with Ravello isn’t.
To understand the costs of running complex ESXi environments in the public cloud using Ravello, here are some example ESXi labs ranging from a 2 node home lab, to a mid size 8 node manual QA lab, to a large scale 250 node scale testing lab.
A simple home lab
- 2 ESXi nodes (4 vCPUs, 8GB RAM, 100GB storage each)
- 1 VMware vCenter™ VM (2 vCPUs, 4GB RAM, 50GB storage)
- 1 NFS VM (2 vCPUs, 4GB RAM, 200GB storage)
Ravello bases pricing on the aggregate application resources, or in this case:
- 2*4 + 2 + 2 = 12 vCPUs
- 2*8 + 4 + 4 = 24GB RAM
- 2*100 + 50 + 200 = 450GB storage
The hourly compute price of the application is $0.84. The hourly volume storage price is $0.16. There is an additional $0.12/GB/month library cost. For this application it will be up to monthly $54 in library cost (if all 450GB storage provisioned is used).
Manual QA lab
The configuration of the lab consists of 2 clusters with 4 nodes per cluster and an NFS server per cluster. That is:
- 8 ESXi nodes (4 vCPUs, 8GB RAM, 100GB storage each)
- 1 vCenter VM (2 vCPUs, 4GB RAM, 50GB storage)
- 2 NFS servers (2 vCPUs, 4GB RAM, 200GB storage each)
The total resources of the application:
- 8*4 + 2 + 2*2 = 38 vCPUs
- 8*8 + 4 + 2*4 = 76GB RAM
- 8*100 + 50 + 2*200 = 1250GB storage
The hourly compute price of the application is $2.66. The hourly volume storage price is $0.42. The additional $0.12/GB/month library cost for the application comes out to up to $150 per month in library costs (given full use of the 1,250GB provisioned).
Scale testing lab
This large lab will consist of 8 clusters (~250 nodes) with a breakdown of:
- 250 ESXi nodes (4 vCPUs, 16GB RAM, 100GB storage each)
- 1 vCenter VM (4 vCPUs, 8GB RAM, 50GB storage)
- 8 NFS VMs (4 vCPUs, 8GB RAM, 500GB storage each)
The aggregate application resources:
- 250*4 + 4 + 8*4 = 1,036 vCPUs
- 250*16 + 8 + 8*8 = 4,072GB RAM
- 250*100 + 50 + 8*500 = 29,050GB storage
The hourly compute price for this large testing lab is $137.52. The hourly volume storage price is $10.03. There is an additional $0.12/GB/month library cost. For this application it can be up to monthly $3,486, assuming the entire 29,050GB storage provisioned is used.
VMware product names, logos, brands, and other trademarks featured or referred to in the ravellosystems domain are the property of VMware. VMware is not affiliated with Ravello Systems or any of Ravello System's employees or representatives. VMware does not sponsor or endorse the contents, materials, or processes discussed on the site.